Requirements for Function & Performance, Environment, Physic & Resource and General requirements have had to be taken into account.
- No grounding interface management with MLI supplier.
- Simpler structure panel design.
- Late design freeze of structure panels.
- Structure panel simplification (no grounding inserts) and therefore less manufacturing effort.
This leads to significant less engineering, design, management and manufacturing costs on panel / S/C side especially for higher levels
The grounding is ensured through a rivet via Stand-off and e.g. a conductive tape directly to the structure or to a given grounding area. The deleted grounding via wire to a grounding insert is the main benefit.
- the same manufacturing effort
- overall a lower el. resistance (Rivet to layer)
- a lower magnetic moment due to the rivet
- consists of standardized parts (with different lengths if needed for thick lay-ups)
- standardized, low cost riveting tools are available.
For a selection for a specific grounding the surface temperature, the surface material and the given requirements need to be taken into account.
5 different MLI grounding points have been taken into account with 7 different connectors and 2 different fixation methods to the S/C.