In the frame of SpacebusTM competitiveness project, the CM Standard Evolution 1 development objective are:
- To reduce the recurrent and non-recurrent specific costs
- To improve the flexibility of the SPACEBUS™ 4000C platform concerning the accommodation and the evolution of the payload and consequently to reduce the duration of the accommodation phase at the beginning of the project.
Secondary targets are :
- To freeze technical inputs (embedded heat pipe network, north/south thermal coupling, DC harness “main roads”, partial heater accommodation) and drivers (thermal and structural rules) at the program kick off in order to have a platform design less dependent of the payload.
- To accommodate dissipative units on earth panels
- To have generic definition for :
- North/south CM panels for each SPACEBUS™ 4000Ci : raw panels and structural inserts
- Embedded heat pipes : raw and machined levels and location inside the panels
- North/south thermal coupling : raw level and location on the panels
- Earth decks :
- Lower earth deck : machined level and structural inserts
- Upper earth deck : raw level and structural inserts
- To have robust structural design justification files for each SPACEBUSTM 4000Ci consistent with the lateral antenna workshop layout (other ARTES project).
- To have a thermal analyses allowing to calculate the thermal performances, to define the accommodation drivers applicable to the repeater and to develop a pre-sizing tool for BID phase up to PDR.
- To define a new concept of satellite handling (lighter and safer)
CM Std Evo1 – thermal mock-up
Main challenges of this project are :
- To guarantee a thermal performance equivalent to the previous design (only external HP network) while increasing the payload unit accommodation flexibility.
- To reduce the Non Reccurent activities using standard definitions.
- To simplify BID phase and PDR thermal analysis using a efficient pre-sizing tool.
CM Std Evo1 design allows to :
- Reduce global payload accommodation phase and manufacturing schedule
- Improve competitiveness and cost of SPACEBUSTM 4000C communication module
CM Std Evo1 key features are :
- Thermal control of the payload performed with only one thermal zone (previously 2 distinct area)
- 2 kind of raw panels dedicated to radiative or conductive TWT
- Generic embedded heat pipes network compliant with all standard repeater RF units (C, Ku, Ka, …)
- External heat pipes for crossing.
- Generic north/South thermal coupling (performed with external HP).
- Pre-sizing tool used from bid to PDR to validate the accommodation and the performances earlier in the design
- Preliminary design and feasibility phase
- Component and sub-assemblies definition and specification
- Qualification plan
- Embedded HP profil
- Thermal filler
- Mechanical and thermal qualification coupon
- Extension of temperature qualification range of inserts
- Satellite Handling bracket
- Critical design review
- Application on a first program
Project CDR achieved in March 2014
Project FR achieved in September 2016
Applied on two commercial satellite programs