ESMEE system architecture has a number of functional enhancements and extensions added to the basic services offered by the distance learning platform currently operated by the partners.
It basically consists of:
a) Real-time delivery audio and video streaming by satellite of university lessons,
b) Synchronous (real-time) teacher/students textual chat interaction by terrestrial Internet link,
c) Asynchronous individual access to a video server for retrieving lessons by Internet,
d) Quality of Service for terrestrial segments,
e) Development and implementation of advanced reservation via RSVP management,
f) Privacy guarantee and attack prevention,
g) Conditional access manager,
h) Billing and accounting,
i) Teacher-driven synchronous browsing,
j) Multicast whiteboard,
k) Content provision and test.
The test phase has seen different communities at work:
a) a University community made of isolated students at home attending lessons of a special course provided by UniLE.
b) a business community made of groups of clerks gathered in remote classrooms. They all will follow lessons about marketing, new product, new software tools etc.
The applications provided are:
- QoSs Manager at the lesson's site and at the service centre,
- RSVP (QoS protocol) supported at all the routers along the path between the lesson's site and the service centre,
- RSVP Advanced Reservation supported at all the routers along the path between the lesson's site and the service centre,
- Encrypting application for the video stream at the service centre,
- Decrypting application embedded in hardware at each receiving side,
- Access manager for all the servers at the service centre,
- Billing and Accounting application at the service centre,
- PHP and Java application on the teacher's we