COM Dev will develop Ka band input multiplexers, output multipexers, filter, and switch monoblock designs with improved performance in areas such as power rating, bandwidth, frequency (data rate), signal attenuation, mass, reliability and longevity. This technology will be designed to satisfy expected requirements for future European commercial Ka band satellite programs.
Each payload will require distinct microwave and physical configurations so the new hardware designs to be developed must encompass all the expected microwave frequencies and physical configurations that will be required for future European Ka band satellites.
Product development which meets the demands of the current market and challenges Ka Band commercial applications where optimum size and mass represent a key competitive advantage and a COM DEV Ltd. discriminator among its competitors.
Ka band hardware design, analysis, building and testing.
The project plan involves the design, analysis, building and testing of a combination of breadboard units and proto-flight units for the various Ka band program equipment types.
- The volume of work carried out during the ARTES 4 breadboard and PFM assembly test campaign has allowed COM DEV to further develop its design tools and processes concerning hardware in the 20 to 30 GHz range. In addition the experience gained in working with sensitive WR34 payload is a great asset to the future products in this frequency range.
- The in-house design software used by COM DEV has proven to be robust and reliable in this frequency range for varying hardware configurations. The available thermal test data will be used to further develop the design guidelines for Ka-Band assemblies.
- The program highlighted areas of improvement in COM DEVs internal processes to enable a much lower fallout of high tolerance parts during fabrication essential to high frequency microware components. Areas of concern with individual vendors were also highlighted and mitigated during the development stage.
- The KaIMUX assembly underwent a successful shock qualification test campaign which fully demonstrated COM DEVs ability to model and accurately predict the performance of complex and compact structures.
- A new test setup for a switch product with reduced packaging constraints was successfully developed and qualified. This unit is now commercially available.
The project has been successfully completed and the results of the work carried out helped enable COM DEV to maintain its position as a world leader in providing solutions to space based communications platforms.