The objectives of this activity are:
- Studying next generation M2M satellite networks (potentially including upgrades of existing infrastructure) which could be realistically put into operation by 2023;
- Identifying System-level solutions that can support the satellite sector in capitalising on the future growth in M2M service sector;
- Identifying technology development needs in order to realise such future networks;
- Providing recommendations on operational environment like standardisation, licensing and radio regulations
Challenge is to find potential applications where terrestrial IoT/M2M systems are not suitable. More, a satellite-based M2M system has to be defined in the way that
- terminals can be realised in a low-cost approach,
- the system supports massive access,
- and systems costs shall not exceed the potential revenue.
The performance of the candidate systems is evaluated by means of research, python simulation, analysis/characterization/ and stochastically post processing data in order to derive characteristic and representative figures of merit (FoM).
The activity gives a recommendation how a next generation M2M satellite-based system shall be designed, regarding addressed use-cases and market possibilities, terminal design, selected waveform, frequencies in use and the required satellite constellation. With these results, the components of such a system can be developed within next activities. The study suggests a timeline for the realization of the entire M2M system. Finally, the study proposes recommendations for future work.
Project has successfully been finished. All documents and software models were delivered to esa.