The focus of this activity is :
- to identify the most relevant 5G scenarios
- to analyse and quantify the level/type of flexibility needed in next-generation satellites, where satellites could play a relevant role
- to address the possible technologies / topologies / concepts answering those needs and evaluate their relevance for a commercial business case.
- to allow the definition of precise development roadmaps and to recommend:
- the development of a new system of concepts for the next generation of "5G compatible" satellites;
- that new technologies be developed in this respect;
- that future 5G standard requirements ensure the location of a satellite component in its architecture.
Defining the future 5G systems from User Cases selection (LEO or GEO satellites, selecting the appropriate data rate for each terminal)
Devising the concepts and satellite equipment necessary to support a 5G environment.
The 5G User Cases have been analysed and the most relevant scenarios have been defined.
The analysis of the 3 system architectures is ongoing to determine the payload and on board needs.