The work to be done will be covered in 10 months. The organization of the work is divided in five different tasks:
Task 1 provides a state of the art reference of the different DVB standards. This study takes into account the classification provided by 3 different use cases:
- Fixed DVB broadcasting systems to reception -only systems (DVB-S2,T2,C2),
- Mobile DVB broadcasting systems (DVB-SH,T2),
- Fixed DVB broadcast/interactive systems (DVB-RCS, NG, DVB-S2).
Each use case is analyzed taking into account the following aspects:
- Application and services,
- Physical and link layer,
- Observed GSE impact.
As a result of this study, the consortium has identified for each use case the technical requirements to support GSE, in TN1 entitled “DVB standards wrt. GSE: current status and technical requirements”.
Task 2 concentrates on GSE only systems signalling aspects, starting by a current status analysis and finally providing what would be the technical high-level requirements for signalling and metadata over GSE only systems. A starting point for this work is what has been already provided in the DVB TM-GBS CMT group. This group intends to define the general DVB signalling over IP for any DVB systems. If DVB signalling already runs over IP, DVB signalling over GSE should be straight forward except for specific signalling aspects relating to the transmission and bearer. Certain considerations should be taken per use case, as for example:
- Description of available physical pipes and support for network topology discovery (e.g. PSI/NIT),
- Support of service mapping to physical layer transmission pipes (e.g. PSI/SI INT style table),
- Satellite interactive network organization (e.g. RCS generic SI tables),
- Other issues: signalling information portioning, timeouts in signalling tables, synchronization issues, etc.,
- Backward compatibility issues, recognising that DVB GS and TS systems will probably need to coexist for some time.
The deliverable TN2 “GSE-only system signalling: status and requirements” contains the results of this work:
- Current status definition: work achieved in DVB (objectives, planning, achievements, summary of the performed technical work),
- High level architecture of a DVB reference system based on GSE generic stream(s) only,
- Signalling Requirements, general and per -use case.
Task 3 will be divided in two work packages:
- WP3100 - Detailed Specification (for the use of GSE) - will consider 3 different subtasks, one per use case, but now trying to concentrate on the detail specification and implementation issues. Possible protocol adaptations or new mechanisms or features in the GSE or physical layer standards should be considered.
- WP3200 - Analysis of Performance - will provide a performance assessment to clarify and highlight the qualitative and quantitative benefits provided by GSE compared to MPE/MPEG-TS for the transport of IP data in the considered use case.
Here the focus will be on finding out whether (hopefully always), how (that should have been answered by the respective standard) and at what „cost“ (through semi-analytical means) GSE can be operated (with and without MPE and PSI/SI) over the various DVB carriers The output will be TN3 “Detailed Specification and performance assessment”.
Task 4 will propose and specify the signalling mechanisms to satisfy the detailed technical requirements arising from Task 2. This specification shall cover the definition of the signalling formatting and parameters, how the signalling is carried within DVB systems, and how receiver can identify and locate this signalling in the generic stream. The output of WP4000 will be TN4 “GSE-only system signalling specification”.
Task 4 is divided in 3 sub-tasks:
- WP4100 for the proposal of a GSE-only signalling architecture, identification of the signalling mechanisms and signalling information, protocol messages and parameters.
- WP4200 for the definition of GSE-only Signalling protocol, checking the different methods for mapping services carried by a DVB multiplex and provide the specification according to the signalling architecture defined in WP4100 and the requirements established in WP2000.
- WP4300 will specify the design and operation of a DVB-RCS system using GSE-only signalling specification.
Task 5 shall address the preparation of technical contributions for the relevant DVB standardization groups. These contributions shall be based on the technical results obtained in the four previous tasks.
A CCN was agreed for the realisation of additional simulation activities, with the purpose to validate crucial parts of the specified signalling framework, i.e. the IP/UDP header suppression and the bootstrapping methods.