- The project's first objective (in Phase 1) is to complete the development a working and reliable L-Band THURAYA Aero product portfolio by making the necessary qualification and flight tests (DO-160G, GMR-1 - RF-Qual, DO-254, THURAYA network approval).
- The project's second and main objective (in Phase 2) is to enable non-safety related Cockpit-Services with the SatCom equipment. This includes electronic flight bags (EFB); routing, weather, maintenance, voice, video and other services not related to air traffic control (ATC) and flight critical parts of the aircraft itself.
- The project's third objective (in Phase 3) is to start evaluating Safety-Services which are related to air traffic control communication and may interface with flight-critical parts of the aircraft.
- Creating a completely reliable system which is relatively inexpensive to procure, install, and implement.
- Creating a system which has no unintentional effects on other vital aircraft systems.
- Creating a system which is easy to understand, easy to use, and easily accepted by personnel in the air and on the ground.
- Creating a system which is flexible and powerful enough to be compatible to future generations of SatCom networks.
The product will offer a system which works over satellite in all weather and at relatively high data-rates using easy to install and inexpensive hardware compliant to a very robust and reliable communication network.
The system features both versatile and compact mechanically steered SatCom antennas as well as slender aerodynamically optimized phased-array antenna systems together with an ARINC-600 / 2 MCU SCOTTY Satellite Data Unit (SDU) which is optimized for the L-Band THURAYA Aero network. This DO-160G, GMR-1 - RF-Qual, and DO-254 certified hardware transmits and receives non-safety related Cockpit-Service information and can be later adapted for Safety-Services related use.
There are Technology, Product, Demonstration/Trials and Definition phases in scope of the activity.
The project's first objective in Phase 1 is to complete the development a working and reliable L-Band THURAYA Aero product portfolio. The project's second and main objective in Phase 2 is to enable non-safety related Cockpit-Services with the SatCom equipment. The project's third objective in Phase 3 is to start evaluating Safety-Services which are related to air traffic control communication and may interface with flight-critical parts of the aircraft.
Phase 1 of the project is completed. Technology development work for Phase 2 is underway.