The objective of this activity is to develop a prototype of a gateway modulator and a user terminal demodulator implementing the DVB standardised beam hopping air interface. Performance testing will be carried out in a representative environment and over the air.
Targeted Improvements: Enabling the deployment of satcom beam hopping systems based on the DVB standardised beam hoppingair interface.
The use of beam hopping technique in satellite systems offers flexibility in focusing the system resources according to the traffic demands. Studies of different satellite communications scenarios have shown potential benefits of beam hopping techniques in reducing the required on-board power, improving the usable capacity and reducing the unused capacity. The commercial needs for the beam hopping air interface standard solutions are recently recognised by DVB, leading to a set of commercialrequirements to amend DVB-S2X and DVB-RCS2. The activity will develop a gateway modulator and a user terminal demodulator accordingto the new air interface and verify the solution in a representative environment.
The activity will in particular address the followingareas and critical functions:
- Required modifications to the existing standard modulator and demodulators to support trafficand signalling messages on the forward link
- The implementation of the network synchronisation mechanism as part of the forward and return channel
- Resource allocation and scheduling mechanism
- Control mechanisms to implement the change of resource allocationsboth onthe forward and return channels
- Log-on procedures and capacity assignments