- Forecast the evolution of existing services over the next ten years.
- Identify and study future uses and services that could emerge in the service-verticals of content management, data distribution and of information collection and data dissemination in view of current trends, notably including the availability (always on, everywhere), the development of mobile terminal equipment and services, of 'cloud computing', the Internet of Things and Machine Type Communications, the delivery of new types of content such as HD / 3D videos, the data and traffic tsunami, as well as the rising societal and environmental concerns and the quest for the improvement of energy efficiency, and describe typical architectures including operational models.
- Identify, analyse and characterise the state of the art in cloud-networking techniques and technologies for terrestrial networks (wired and wireless) in Europe, US and world-wide covering the solutions, their standardisation, validation (standard conformance and testbeds), deployments and alignment (consensus/ divergence) and propose classification schemes based on detailed performance, deployment, orchestration / re-configurability, management (control / monitoring), scalability / elasticity, security / privacy, service delivery modality / protocols and charging, pricing and regulations dimensions.
- Assess the new constraints and requirements (including co-operation, economic, technical and trust / security / privacy) that will be imposed on the terrestrial telecommunications cloud -network and -service infrastructures in order to provide assured QoE / QoS in multi-domain provisioning environments.
- Define integrated satcom – terrestrial cloud-networks service delivery architectures, validate and benchmark (via real testbeds and simulations) and suggest guidelines for evolutionary implementations answering questions such as:
– What are the possible value-added scenarios for terrestrial and satellite cloud-networks integration in the content management or distribution and information collection and dissemination verticals?
– What are the associated markets and business incentives for each?
– What is the mix of services that would be offered over each and which is their expected introduction priority? What are the advantages and disadvantages of GEO and non GEO (LEO/MEO) network topologies in each case?
– What are the service delivery architectures (covering all business, operational and technical dimensions) most relevant to these and what are the expected deployments in the short, mid and long-term?
– What terrestrial cloud-networking technologies can be re-used and what are the necessary adaptations and enhancements for the satcom networks?
– What are the measures and KPIs that enable the evaluation and benchmarking of the validation use cases and how do these map to the physical layer and network performance metrics?
– What are the impacts on the CAPEX and OPEX for the satellite component per system use-case?
Make recommendations for future work based on the definition of a multi-layered roadmap of ranked actions (technology, standardisation, dissemination) and identify future experimentation/demonstrations over the air that could be implemented to further validate the concepts the air that could be implemented to further validate the concepts