- To develop and present a competitive product for this new emerging market,
- To reduce mass compared to existing Ka-band products.
Thales Alenia Space proposes to develop a stand-alone Down-Converter dedicated to new RF spectrum allocation for Broadcasting Space Systems in 25 and 17 GHz in order to be able to present competitive products in this emerging market.
The development effort is focused on the 3 main parts of the down converter:
- RF section design to comply with new frequency range,
- The Local Oscillator section with technological and industrial improvements allowing overall mass and cost reduction,
- The DC/DC section is also modified to cope with the new RF section and with the modified LO. Cost and mass have also been improved.
The new product has a modular and flexible architectures allowing easy adaptation to major primes platforms specifications.
The 25/17 GHz Down-Converter unit will be based on a RF macro-hybrid device, gathered with internal LO & DCDC sections.
click for larger image
25/17 GHz Down Converter mechanical design
|Useful Input Frequency Range||24750 - 25250 MHz|
Maximum Input Level
Input level dynamic range
|Local Oscillator Frequency||7450 MHz|
|Useful Output Frequency Range||17300 - 17800 MHz|
|Minimum Gain||64 dB|
|Gain stability Over qualification temperature range||+/- 1.2 dB|
At ambient temperature, at any frequency
|Amplitude Linearity||50 dBc|
|Out of band response
Gain at receive frequency
< Nominal gain-55 dB
< Nominal gain-55 dB
> 10 MHz
|Mass and dimensions||710 g|
|Power bus/DC Power consumption||13W|
The EQM activities are organized in two phases:
Key milestones of phase 1 are the Baseline Design Review (BDR), MTR (Mid Term Review) and FR1 ( final review one).
- MMIC Mixer: Design, foundry and test,
- MMIC SPD : design and foundry,
- Dcdc converter Flex3 design,
- Macro-hybrid design,
- EM dcdc converter Flex3 manufacturing and test,
- EM macro-hybrid manufacturing and test,
- At the BDR, the EQM1 unit design is presented together with EM dcdc converter test report, Mixer design sheet and measurement sheet specifications,
- EQM1 manufacturing and test,
- Macro-hybrid CTA manufacturing and test,
- At the MTR (CDR data package), the EQM2 detailed design is presented. In addition the qualification test procedure will be presented,
- At FR1 EQM1 qualification test reports, macro-hybrid CTA reports will be presented.
This phase starts after the FR1 and EQM1 qualification tests completion. Following tasks are driven:
- New MMIC SPD hybrid device and PLL board manufacturing & testing
- MMIC SPD CTA manufacturing and test
- Implementation of the two new circuits in EQM unit for EQM2 configuration
- EQM2 qualification test sequence
The key milestone of phase 2 is the FR2. During this review, EQM2 qualification tests results will be presented together with CTA SPD report.
- All key reviews (BDR/CDR/MTR/FR1 & FR2) have been held successfully,
- The 25/17 GHz Down-converter has been fully tested and qualified with expected performances and under multi-platform environmental conditions,
- RF Macro-hybrid is qualified (CTA report),
- MMIC SPD hybrid is qualified (CTA report).
EQM 25/17 GHz Down-converter