The scope of the Sat3Play project is the development of a satellite 2-way multimedia platform for the provisioning of the triple play bundle. Triple play is the bundling of consumer fixed voice, broadband Internet and TV services from the same service provider.
Development goals of the project are:
- Satellite based system as an alternative to DSL and fibre technology,
- Terminal at consumer price level,
- Fixed voice service by using voice-over-IP (VoIP) technology,
- Interactive TV services based upon IPTV technology combined with standard DTH,
- Broadband Internet service,
- Reuse of recently developed standards-based interactive technology such as SATMODE and DVB-RCS.
Some developments already done in this field (based upon SATMODE products, DVB-RCS products, low cost interactive LNBs, etc.) will be reused in order to speed up the development process and to come with solutions to the market in the shortest possible time.
The transmission technology will be implemented in a "Sat3Play Access Box" or "IPModem". This Sat3Play Access Box interacts over Ethernet with the broadband home network components (e.g. playing devices, telephone, PC, IP-STB, PVR, etc.).
A secondary market is the SOHO and special applications (e.g. SCADA, telemetry services) market where the Access Box interfaces with application specific equipment.
click for larger image