GOVSATCOM is a system of systems, based on both existing assets and potentially future assets. Future assets studied in the frame of Securesat comprise satellite assets and/or ground assets.
The complete set of future assets constitutes Securesat and shall contribute and complete existing assets to cover all GOVSATCOM requirements.
The GOVSATCOM system has been decomposed in seven main Components. The Components have been proposed based on the capabilities and on the technical constraints that can be associated to different services, applications and coverages.
The proposed aggregated system is a composition “already” or “to be deployed” certified GOVSATCOM systems and made available via Component 7 (Pooling and sharing) plus new GOVSATCOM space assets deployed to fill gaps in terms of:
The aggregated system includes a Federate European Ground Segment component (P&S) which permits the GOVSATCOM users to access pooled and shared capacity by already deployed or planned GOVSATCOM certified assets (if they are available) and new GOVSATCOM assets (SECURESAT).
To fulfil the GOVSATCOM requirement expressed for the horizon 2040, the SECURESAT to be deployed in 2025 will be composed of:
- Federate Ground Segment (Pool and Sharing)
- Sparse LEO constellation for LDR and M2M services (service gap filler)
- Constellation of 2 HEO satellites for Arctic coverage and providing HDR and LDR services (coverage gap filler)
- 3 GEO hosted payloads or full satellites, positioned for global coverage and providing
- HDR services (GOVSATCOM certifiable capacity gap filler in commercial frequency bands)
- complementing European optical assets
Interfacing with EDRS system and GLOBENET is desirable for the GOVSATCOM system.